rock 'n' roll providence 1/2 marathon

There were a lot of amazing things that happened this weekend, but I'm most excited to talk about the Rock 'n' Roll Providence half marathon.

First, thank you everyone for the support and well-wishes this weekend. You guys are all seriously the best. You sure know how to make a girl feel loved :)

So the race! B and I left on Saturday afternoon in our Zipcar (Mundorf the Mazda!) to venture to Providence for the big expo and to carb up. We got there in a jiff and then hit up the expo for our race info and some really cool swag. I even got to catch up with a friend from high school who was working at the expo! Awesome way to start the race weekend.

We checked into our hotel and got settled in before we ventured out to get our awesomely carbalicious dinner.
front and back of the race shirts
b and her bib number!
my bib number!
We went to Cassarino's Ristorante in Federal Hill for dinner. I highly recommend this place if you're looking for a filling, inexpensive meal.
b + bolognese.
We vegged for the rest of the night and prepped for our 5 a.m. wake-up call.

Cue Sunday morning. It's raining. Then it's pouring. I left my camera at the hotel so it wouldn't get water-logged, so I have no pictures of the race. But here's what I can tell you: the first 10 miles felt pretty easy. We stuck together and paced ourselves. We stopped at every water station and were completely, 100 percent drenched by the end of mile one. My shoes weighed about three pounds each thanks to the water. But we kept on running. We slowed down to walk and to re-tie shoes. But we kept going.

At mile 10, things started to feel sluggish. The miles started to feel farther and father apart, and by the time we hit mile 11, we were frustrated. It was still raining. We were soaked. The mile felt like it went on forever. And then we hit mile 12. And we said screw it. Let's go. We ran our little hearts out until we hit mile 13 and we made a mad-sprint up the final hill for the last .1 mile. And then we crossed the finish line. My official time was 2:30:14. Not too shabby for my first half marathon where it rained the full race.

I'm pretty sore today, but that was expected. I've booked a massage for tomorrow, which I'm extra excited about right now. I'm so glad I had such an awesome running partner in B. There's no other girl I'd rather run a race with :) But, most importantly, I'm really proud of myself for sticking with this race. There were so many times where I wanted to quit and just give up, but I kept going.

And now look at me: I'm a half marathon runner. Beat. That.


  1. Congrats on running a half, that's great! (Also way to be a trooper in the rain!) I'm thinking about signing up for a half, but I'm a little nervous,'s nice to read posts like this because it makes me think that I might be able to do it and live to tell about it...ha.

  2. Ahhh, you are a much better woman than I. I would have totally quit. Congrats! That carbonara looks delicious, btw.

  3. ahhh yay yay yay yay!!!!!!!

  4. i think carboloading would be my favorite part about running so much.
    but YESSSSSSSS!!!
    you are awesome!!! and you're still my hero for running that halfsie.
    you = legit.

  5. Go you! What a trooper, I would've been done after mile one. Then again, I haven't run anything longer than a couple miles since high school. ;)


Oh, herro there.

Follow @ Instagram

Back to Top